CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Lilypie

Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Trip to the ER and a Black Eye

I told myself I would blog at least once a week, but I've already broken that rule. I'll try to do better, but our lives have been crazy as usual. So since I last blogged Henry has received two more biting notifications (for a total of four), I have been to Austin and back, Andy and I spent a morning in the Presby ER, Ben got a black eye, and the Longhorns beat UT and are now ranked #1!


I can't believe how big the boys are getting. Ben is now walking well, and Henry is almost running. And now that cooler weather is approaching, they are wearing some of their new school clothes. The other day I dressed them in their new blue jeans, t-shirts, and New Balance shoes. They looked like little boys and reminded me of the commercial (I think it is MasterCard) with the two little boys with their backpacks at school and then their friend joins them and they are dancing the Robot. The first time I saw that commercial was shortly after the boys were born and I told Andy that was our boys in a few years (Andy's favorite - and only - dance is the Robot so it is only fitting that Ben and Henry will learn it). So when I saw them dressed in their little jeans ready for school, plus the fact that they have started dancing whenever they hear music, I thought of that commercial. It always makes me smile.

In other news, Andy took me to the ER yesterday morning because I was having chest pain and trouble breathing. The chest pain started Monday but just felt like I was coming down with something. By Tuesday it was worse, but I had an appointment with my doctor that morning anyway so I brought it up with her. She was concerned and ordered an EKG and a chest x-ray. Both came back negative so she ordered a stress test which I was supposed to do this morning. So yesterday morning I woke up and the pain was worse plus I was having trouble catching my breath. I knew my doctor had done all the tests she was capable of doing and would therefore send me to the hospital so I just had Andy take me there after we dropped the boys off at school. Fortunately, there was no one at the Presby ER so we did not have to wait at all. They took my vitals and found that my heartrate was high - over 100. So they did another EKG and chest x-ray. My rapid heartrate had them concerned so they ordered a CT scan to check for a blood clot. They even talked about admitting me for more tests because they couldn't explain the elevated heartrate. Finally, an internal medicine doctor was consulted and determined that I had a virus which was causing my heartrate to go up. The CT scan also showed fluid in my chest cavity which explained the chest pain and difficulty breathing. So I was sent home with some meds which have relieved the pressure so I am feeling much better now. And Andy got to have lunch in the hospital cafeteria, which he considers a real treat!


In case we didn't have enough excitement yesterday, Ben and Henry's teacher called and left me a message this afternoon to say that Ben had an accident at school. Apparently he was reaching for something (probably climbing to get it) and fell and hit his left eye on the corner of a bookshelf. He has a cut above his eye but is otherwise okay. As you can see, it is a little swollen but not really black although we'll see what he looks like in the morning.

1 comments:

The Patterson Family said...

Oh no! I hope you're feeling better! So much drama in all our lives...